Spicy BBQ Ribs
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- Serving Size4
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 12 pork ribs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 (400g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp runny honey
1. Place the ribs in a large, shallow, non-metallic ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the smoked paprika and season well with freshly ground black pepper. Rub the spice and seasoning all over the ribs. Arrange the ribs in the dish in an even layer and set aside, covered whilst making the marinade.
2. Heat the 1 tbsp of the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and chili and cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until just soft. Remove from the pan with a draining spoon and set aside on a plate.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat for 30 seconds. Sprinkle the sugar over the base of the pan and cook over a medium heat, without stirring for 2-3 minutes, tilting the pan from side to side to spread the sugar as it begins to melt. Heat until the sugar is golden brown and caramelised.
4. As soon as the sugar turns brown, add the remaining ingredients and return the onions, garlic and chili to the pan. Don’t worry if there are clumps of caramelised sugar in the tomatoes, they will dissolve as the sauce simmers.