Tomato, Chilli And Caraway Jam
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- Serving Size4
- Arden’s Lockerbie Cheddar & Caramalised Onion Chutney Bites
- 500g Fresh plum tomato’s
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8-9 Red jalapeno chili peppers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 270g or about 3 small red onions
- 2 tbsp. soya sauce
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 120g red wine vinegar
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. caraway seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ lime
- 2 bay leaves
- 1x 5cm piece of fresh ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 200 Celsius and prepare the ingredients.
2. Remove the stems from the chilies and cut in half length ways along with the tomato’s. Dice the onions. Peel the ginger and cut into slices. Lightly toast the coriander seeds until fragrant.
3. Put the tomatoes, chilies and garlic cloves (leave the skin on) in a roasting tray and drizzle with 20 ml extra virgin olive oil, roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Pop the garlic cloves from their skins and add everything to a blender along with the soya sauce, pulse until roughly chopped.
4. Place the ginger, coriander seeds, ½ lime and 2 bay leaves in the center of a square of muslin, tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
5. Add 2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil to a large, wide, shallow pan and sauté the onions until tinged golden.
6. Add the tomato and chili mixture along with the sugar, red wine vinegar, caraway seeds and spice bag, bring the boil stirring regularly.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the chutney is well reduced and when you drag a wooden spoon through the mixture it leaves a clear trail across the bottom of the pan. This is when you know it is ready.
8. To make the perfect cheese board include no more than 3 or 4 cheeses of contrasting flavor and texture, the classic combination is cheddar, stilton and brie.
9. Keep the cheese at room temperature and serve with a good bottle of light red wine and Arden’s Lockerbie Cheddar & Caramalised Onion Chutney Bites